Yarnageddon

Based on a True Sweater

Oct 21, 2005

Euphoria


I still can't believe I got to see Bauhaus perform last night. I missed the "Resurrection" tour in 1998 (mostly because I live in a cave), and I never thought I'd have the opportunity to see them. So, even if the show had sucked, the thrill of seeing them onstage would have been worth the ticket price. Fortunately, the show didn't suck.

Actually, the show was incredible. I have been a Bauhaus fan since I was 16 or 17, so I knew all the songs that were performed, and am pretty familiar with their body of work. Seeing the live performance, however, gave me a new understanding of their music, and made it come together as a cohesive body of work in a way I hadn't previously grasped. Even songs I'm not always that engaged by when I listen to them on CD, were amazing last night. The songs I already loved had new beauty and depth (and did I mention how exciting it was to see these songs performed live??)

I had the address of the venue wrong, so we were about 20 minutes late, and arrived in the middle of "Burning form the Inside". A few songs after that, they played "Terror Couple Kill Colonel" (one of those that was unexpectedly beautiful live - I had never imagined that song sounding beautiful), followed by "Swing the Heartache" and "She's in Parties" (favourites that almost made me cry). Perhaps that was the high point for me. The band seemed to be having a great time, and was really responsve to the appreciative (to put it mildly) audience. Zak, who is not a Bauhaus fan at all, thought the show was amazing as well, and agreed that everyone put in a fantastic performance. I was really glad he had a good time. I hope I enjoy Judas Priest as much when we see them on Sunday.

In short; if you are or have ever been a Bauhaus fan, or are curious about Bauhaus, or... okay, if you like music at all, and if the tour is coming anywhere near your planet, I would strongly urge you to see the show. That is all. :)

2 Comments:

At 10:01 a.m., Blogger jodi said...

I didn't even know they were touring. And how cool is it that I know TWO bloggers who were at that show?

 
At 7:09 a.m., Blogger InkyW said...

Hi -- just found your blog!! i adore Bauhaus and first saw them circ 1982 at the Roxy in Hollywierdo. Yes, I'm old. but anyway, should you get a chance to see Peter Murphy perform alone, he's also worth the price of admission. As is Daniel in ANY band incarnation.

oh, and the redo on the frumpy sweater - excellent job!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home