Yarnageddon

Based on a True Sweater

Jan 7, 2006

Christmas Knitting And A New Ring

There is, of course, a large entry I need to write about our trip home to Calgary for Christmas. First, though, I must show shitty photos of the Christmas knitting I did. (I neglected to get good photos - too busy having Christmas. Oops.)

I knit only four gifts this year, for my father, mother, sister, and brother. Here we all are together.


From left to right:

Sadly, my sister Shawn is very allergic to any yarn made of animal fiber. For her, I made the Triangle Shawl from the Interweave Crochet 2004 issue, in Butterfly Super 10 Cotton. I love this pattern, and I'm very happy with how it turned out in this yarn! I must make more of them...



My brother Dan specifically asked for a new earflap hat when I asked him what he wanted me to knit for him. I made him one with a flame pattern the first Christmas I was knitting, and he still wears it - but I'm glad he wanted a new one, because I have a much better idea what I'm doing now, and I use much better yarn! This one is made with 2 colours of Lamb's Pride Worsted, and some Kureyon (the brown/black sections). It was a design-as-you-go thing, using the same skull chart I always use (from Enchanted Knitting). I love knitting for my brother. Of the people I have knit stuff for, he may be the most appreciative, and the one most inclined to say "my sister made it for me!"



Here's a photo I took right after the knitting, before the steam blocking and weaving-in of ends.



My Dad's scarf is the one that you really, really can't see at all in this photo. I worked a nice, angular cable pattern in Rowanspun DK, one of my very favourite yarns, though I find it very slow to work with. I really wish I'd taken some better photos of this scarf, it is very beautiful and suits my Dad well. I was proudest of this gift, since my Dad has particular taste and is very hard to knit for.



Last but not least, for my beautiful mother, this entrelac scarf in Silk Garden. This was the gift that inspired the others. Though I love living in Vancouver, I miss my family terribly, and I loved the way knitting this scarf for my Mom made me feel close to her. The scarf suits her perfectly and exactly fits her personal style. It was an unqualified success!! :)



Here's a shot I took before I blocked it. This scarf was so fun to make, and I was stunned at how beautiful it looked.



Finally, can't resist showing this photo. Shawn and her boyfriend, Jeff, got engaged the day before our family's yearly pre-Christmas brunch, at the club my Dad golfs at. Jeff is a very old friend of Zak's, so I knew him before he started dating Shawn, and I have always liked him. I'm so happy for them!! :) (...and I think Shawn looks beautiful in this photo.) Click to make big.

14 Comments:

At 7:41 p.m., Blogger Ang said...

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

 
At 8:25 p.m., Blogger jodi said...

I'm in awe. I gave up trying to knit for xmess a while ago, when I caught myself knitting after midnight on xmess eve on something to be given the next morning, and realized I'd done that the year before too. What beautiful gifts!

 
At 9:51 p.m., Blogger Wendy said...

It's so cool how you look just like your mom, your brother looks so much like your dad, and your sister, a perfect mix of both. At least, from the small sample of photos. Love the FOs, they look great. I bought Enchanted Knitting just for their day of the dead illustrations.

 
At 12:52 a.m., Blogger Sharon said...

Great gifts Mandy, everyone looks warm and happy. I wish the best for your family! It's great to see that you were home for Christmas, I can't wait to see my family I miss them dearly as well as missing you and Zak!

Can't wait to see you both!

 
At 5:28 a.m., Blogger Amy Boogie said...

Beautiful holiday and I love the knits.

 
At 8:19 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whoa! Hot Brother Alert! Why have you kept him a secret!? Ha Ha. I love it all!

 
At 3:15 p.m., Blogger Ruth said...

What great gifts ... your sister's shawl makes me want to practice my crochet so that I can make one, too.

Congratulations to your sister and her fiance! May they have a long and happy life together.

 
At 6:34 a.m., Blogger j a r e d said...

the entrelac is perfect! how many balls of silk garden did you use?

 
At 7:05 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

They all look fantastic! That's three more than I made for family this year....

(Hey - thinking about coming up to Vancouver to get married in April -- might want to pick your brain for details, kay? And of course we MUST hook up. xo)

 
At 10:29 p.m., Blogger Karen said...

gorgeous knits as always mandy -- pass on matt and my congrats and best wishes to Shawn and Jeff

 
At 6:14 p.m., Blogger Ang said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!

 
At 3:36 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Mandy,

wow, the x-mas-gifts looks great!! Particulary the gift for your brother (I think also my brother would like this) and the scarf for your mother! Very very nice!!

Greez from Germany
Bye
Cleo

 
At 4:29 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love love love the hat you knut for your brother. It is amazing. bravo!

 
At 9:53 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for saying such lovely things about the family and about Jeff and I.
I really do have a wonderful sister.

P.S. I bought my wedding shoes last night! (I know I have 18 months until the wedding, but these were perfect!)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home