Yarnageddon

Based on a True Sweater

Jul 2, 2007

A Satisfying Distraction

I've been feeling a bit overwhelmed lately. It seems like there are a lot of things, large and small, that have to be done in the next couple of days. Today, I needed a break from stressing about them.

I called my mom and sister, and while I talked to them, I made a couple of necklaces. This first little one is for my sister, Shawn.

A Necklace For My Sister

A Necklace For My Sister

It looks vaguely Egyptian to me... I really like the bone and copper beads combined this way. I think I need to play with this combination some more.

This one is for me. I have been admiring the work of Natalie at Pashupatina for a while now, and in this necklace I used some of the ideas I've picked up while poring over her beautiful work. I am definitely a beginner when it comes to beading, but I want to learn more!

Mercury Necklace

Mercury Necklace

Except for the large circular bead, all the beads in both of these necklaces are from a bunch that Zak gave me for our wedding anniversary this year. It was our eighth anniversary, and he gave me eight strands. He took his time choosing them, and chose based on colours he has either seen represented in my yarn stash, or that I have been obsessing over lately. The strands are each made of a different material: there are beads of bone, carnelian, copper, coral, garnet, glass, peridot, and turquoise.

We're not always that good at buying gifts for each other, but sometimes we get it right. When he gets it right, he really gets it right.

7 Comments:

At 8:13 a.m., Blogger Deb said...

What a great present! And yes, he got it right- both in the gift and his choice of partner.(But then, you also got it right, right?)

 
At 8:37 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

it's beautiful mandy!!!!!!!

 
At 4:27 p.m., Blogger Gudrun Johnston said...

Hi Mandy,
I love the necklace you made for yourself...not bad for a beginner I'd say...I love that it's not all symmetrical either...great choice of beads!

 
At 12:32 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a good husband!

And nice necklaces. You have a nice eye for color.

- Leslie@goodcrafternoon.com

 
At 1:22 p.m., Blogger rockbridge said...

beautiful beadwork - i love the bone and the turquoise together.. and thanks so much for your nice comment about my basalt tank - much appreciated!

 
At 9:20 a.m., Blogger Romi said...

Those are gorgeous! Well done. I love asymmetrical jewelry. :)

 
At 6:30 a.m., Blogger Em said...

very nice work!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home