Yarnageddon

Based on a True Sweater

Feb 27, 2006

Well, It Was My Name First.

This is the only time I will ever blog about celebrity gossip.

This is one of those weird and irritating coincidences that cannot pass without a note. So, my name is Mandy Moore. Yes, like that Mandy Moore. I get stupid comments and questions frequently. I was 24 when she became famous, or at least when I first heard of her (from people who knew me and thought the name thing was hilrious, of course). It's weird to suddenly have your name not be your own any more. This happened several months after I got married, and I have sort of wondered if I would have hyphenated my name if I had heard of her beforehand. Lame, yes, but it actually rattled me.

Then, last week I read on a trashy gossip site that she's marrying Zach Braff. I mentioned this to Zak because it was the first time I had seen her name written out as "Amanda Moore", which of course is also my name. He said "How weird, another Mandy and Zak". I had failed to register that fact... thank goodness the spelling, at least, is different. And, of course, they don't have the same last name. But still.... well, weird.

9 Comments:

At 10:53 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great news! WIth all of these coincidences, she can't help but be thrilled to finally meet you after all the years you've followed her around!

you can joke about the coded messages to you she had left in her music, or the time you stayed at the same hotel, and you had some of her clothes, you didn't say hi because she was in the shower at the time... and so on.

:D
[/outrightlies]

 
At 11:29 a.m., Blogger Erin said...

That is a kind of weird coincidence. Well, the world's only so big right?

 
At 1:40 p.m., Blogger Wendy said...

I hate when the Mugwumps squeeze what are supposed to be parallel worlds into this one. Trés annoying.

You guys are cuter, so at least there's that.

 
At 9:53 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, I've heard of the faux Mandy Moore, but I've never listened to her.

Kind of like that programmer in "Office Space" (one of my favourite movies) who was named Michael Bolton and hated Michael Bolton.

When I was a kid there was a football player with my name, and now there's a basketball player. More troubling, there's a guy with my name who writes crank letters to the local newspaper. I wonder how many people think I'm him.

Look on the bright side. It makes it more difficult for cyber-stalkers to google you.

 
At 8:23 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

how funny! as long as she doesn't try to trademark her name, you should be OK! :o)

 
At 6:43 p.m., Blogger jodi said...

Um. Shows how totally out of touch I am. I'd heard of this wannabe Mandy Moore only by peeking once over a little girl's shoulder while she pored over her grandma's People magazine, but I thought she was some sort of actor, not a singer. Ah well. She totally pales next to the real thing.

 
At 9:53 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

i never thought of that when I heard it - how bizarre. that is FUNNY!!!!
me in NYC i don't think I will be as busy as I thought when I get back so maybe we can make another attempt at that meet up for coffee!

 
At 8:05 p.m., Blogger Dani In NC said...

I experienced that feeling on a smaller scale when I began frequenting knitting blogs. Wherever I go, I am usually the only Dani. Imagine my surprise when I started seeing my name pop up in the comments sections of several blogs! There are a couple well-known DANIs in the knitblog world that aren't me :-).

If someone has to be using your name, at least it is someone who isn't disgracing herself in the media. It could be worse--you could be named Brittany Spears or Paris Hilton!

 
At 7:49 p.m., Blogger Erin said...

I have a friend named Nick Carter. Like the Backstreet Boy. To make things worse, his middle name is Aaron (like the Backstreet Boy's brother who dated Lindsay Lohan and Hillary Duff, or at least I think he did). He's also blonde. But he's an actual musician, an amazing percussionist, and doesn't dance.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home