Yarnageddon

Based on a True Sweater

Jul 12, 2006

The Family You Choose

I feel like saying "sorry I've been away", but I think you are all used to me being a crappy, infrequent blogger. I've enjoyed posting more frequently lately, though, so I feel like I really have been away.

Here's why:



Stevie, my "little sister" from Calgary, was visiting.



We had a fantastic week, though we failed to get photos of most of the things we did. We had a lot of fun, and she got to meet many of my Vancouver friends.

Do not fail to see this incredibly cute photo of her, taken by Travis as Stevie spent some quality time with the water. To say "Stevie loves the ocean" would be a bit of an understatement.

She even got me to into the water (the bottom few inches of me, anyways), such is the persuasive force of her will.



To say "I miss Stevie" would be another understatement. I don't say this often about people I'm not related to by blood or marriage (because I am a dreadful literalist), but she is family.



We've been "sisters" since she was 9, and she's 14 now. One of the things I most regret about leaving Calgary, is that I'm not able to be there for Stevie as consistently as I'd like to be, especially at such an... eventful time of her life.

After she left us at the airport, Zak reminded me of a time after Stevie and I had started hanging out, when I had said to him, "I wonder if Stevie will still be interested in being my friend when she gets a little older." I really didn't expect that we'd develop the kind of relationship that we have, and I'm very grateful for it.

I just wish she wasn't so far away.

6 Comments:

At 6:25 a.m., Blogger Gina said...

I am so glad you had fun! And Hug... I understand about missing sister/friends....HUGHUGHUG!

 
At 7:58 a.m., Blogger Rachael said...

I love EVERY SINGLE PHOTO that you've posted as part of this blog entry. They are a wonderful tribute to your friendship with Stevie.

 
At 8:07 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those are amazing photos. I'm glad that you got a chance to visit with her. It seems like you have an awesome relationship with her - I think having you as a mentor, teaching her by example how to be creative and confident, will be such a gift to her. Probably as much as she is a gift to you. Wow, that sounds so much more trite than I meant it to, but you know what I mean.

Erika

 
At 11:44 a.m., Blogger Dani In NC said...

It sounds like you and Stevie have developed a wonderful relationship. What a blessing to both of you!

 
At 10:10 a.m., Blogger Erin said...

I know exactly what you mean! She seems like a great person and it's always hard when those we're close to are so far away!

 
At 9:46 a.m., Blogger knitty_kat said...

It sounds like you guys had a really good visit! (yea!)

These shots are great!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home