Yarnageddon

Based on a True Sweater

Jun 19, 2006

They Will Know The Power Of Thy Sword

It's confession time. I have an addiction, an infatuation, an obsession right now with the cheesiest of cheesy epic metal. (...if this isn't the cheesiest, maybe don't tell me.)

Manowar is a band from Zak's youth, which he told me about for years but never actually tried to play for me... I think he was afraid of rejection. After we went to see this movie, though, we were both feeling the love for the metal in our lives (we are both fans of different genres), and he played some Manowar for me. It was one of those "how can something so wrong be so right??" moments.

This band sings about myths, Satan, the glory of battle... apparently without irony, which is rare and a little exhilirating. Technically, they are brilliant and amazing, and their music is beautiful. Incredibly, the live stuff is at least as good as the studio stuff. I don't like all of it that I've heard; some of it is really, really not to my taste, but my playlist keeps growing. They have all of their albums available for purchase as MP3s on their site (both as albums and as single tracks), and Zak bought all of them, so I am slowly going through them and finding what I like and what I don't.

If there is a part of you that loves cheesy, melodic, glorious metal and you want to try some Manowar, I'd definitely recommend buying a few songs. Here's my current favourite playlist, in case you're interested:

1. Gates of Valhalla
2. Battle Hymns
3. Black Wind, Fire and Steel
4. Defender
5. Guyana (Cult of the Damned)
6. Master of the Wind
7. Bridge of Death
8. March for Revenge
9. The Power of Thy Sword

I would love to see these guys play live. I would even stand in the sincere line.

This post was brought to you by the conversation I had with Rachael on Friday, about sitting down and writing those blog posts that write themselves in your head as you're doing something else. Guess what I'm listening to as I bang away on the patterns for the Summer issue of Knitty?

3 Comments:

At 1:03 a.m., Blogger Lía said...

I've seen Manowar playing live in Spain and they're...well you have to go to a concert because I had so much fun ;)
Lía

 
At 11:21 a.m., Blogger Erin said...

I'm just now tuning in after being away from the internet for so long! I love that you're going dancing! That sounds like so much fun. I wish I could convince Gabe to dance, but unfortunately that's just not his thing.

 
At 2:44 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Zak's ability to infect me with metal is 100% better to than im attempts to infect him with a myriad of bands.

speaking of over the top. i was recently reminded of Roger Waters' Radio K.A.O.S. a 1987 concept album that sort of tells a story thats just too weird to make any real sense at all. and the lyrics reflect it, every song you feel like you've sort of come into the movie halfway through.

after a couple of re-listens i am struck with 3 things.

1.) I don't think its very good.
2.) I didn't think it was very good when i was 16.
3.) but i really liked it then, and I really like it now. Theres really 2 or 3 mazing songs, or parts of songs, but to get to them you pretty much have to listen to the whole thing beecause context is so important.

its reminded me of how much i really loved Pink Floyd. And its got to have been at least 10 years since i have put any of their stuff onto my play list.

I think its time to go get the DVD remaster of the Wall and haave some people over for some consciousness raising.

A bit of trivia that links pink floyd to mandy and Zak. VoiVod and David Bowie have sucessfully covered Pink Floyd.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home