Yarnageddon

Based on a True Sweater

May 10, 2006

Making A Thing For A Friend

Well, how about that? I have a finished thing to show you!



This little scarf is made from some of my precious handspun from Wendy Black. It was a gift for Susie, which I gave her tonight. This leads me to think about two things:



1. So far, with the handspun which I received from Wendy in exchange for the painting I did for her, I have made 4 small projects and given away one skein. The one skein I gave to Amy, because it screamed her name too loudly to ignore. The projects were:
- a small creature (a travel charm) for my brother Dan
- a Flower Basket Shawl for my Mom
- a "Chanson on Crochet" capelet for Bel
- this scarf for Susie. The pattern is from Phildar book #440, which is still available from their website, though I think it's only available in French. I made the scarf fairly short, to wear draped around a jacket collar, or fastened with a pin, or tied like an ascot, or... well, as an accessory. I love how it turned out, and it was really fun to make. Plus, it looks great on Susie.

I really, really want to make things for myself with this yarn, because I adore every single meter of it. Apparently it was instead designed to carry messages of love. Wendy, is this a trick of yours? I swear, I will make at least one thing for myself before this beautiful yarn is all gone!



2. Spending an evening with Susie is definitely in my top small number of things to do with an evening. Often when we hang out, I am reminded of the things I look for in a friend, now that I am old enough to have learned a bit about what I do and do not want in the people I choose to spend my time with. One of the things I was thinking about is this:

When I spend a few hours with a friend, I would like to feel replenished afterwards, instead of drained. I don't want to feel resentful, like I have given a friend the best of myself that I could during the time I was with them, and that it wasn't enough. I don't want to feel like I have poured myself into a black hole or a sucking wound. I don't want to feel used. Instead, I want to feel like I have shared and been shared with, and that my friend and I are both the richer for the time we spend together. That isn't to say that I can't be the shoulder to cry on for a friend who's had something bad happen or is going through a rough time, but I've been in friendships before where that was all the relationship consisted of, and I have to tell you, I'm done with it.

I feel very replenished tonight. :)

22 Comments:

At 6:56 a.m., Blogger AmyP said...

The crocheted scarf is amazing - really inspirational for a not-quite-yet-crocheter!

 
At 7:08 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

You give crochet a good name. Gorgeous work there.

 
At 8:13 a.m., Blogger knit_tgz said...

Where have you found the pattern for your scarf? It's gorgeous! Or have you invented it?

 
At 8:18 a.m., Blogger Amy Boogie said...

The scarf is gorgeous! You make me want to crochet more - have you gotten my last couple of emails?

 
At 10:44 a.m., Blogger Alice said...

that's absolutely beautiful. I was all ready to give up crochet (a week after learning) but you're the second aspirational thing I've seen today, so I will keep going

 
At 10:47 a.m., Blogger supersusie said...

i feel replenished, too. i'm so happy that you're my friend, mandy.

"let's always hang out together, okay?"

 
At 11:45 a.m., Blogger Wendy said...

Wow, very cool--1 more reason to learn to crochet (and French). And have mad hookin' skilz like the Mandy. ;)

I do put love in my handspun, and I guess it does manifest itself differently with each person.

 
At 2:15 p.m., Blogger ashayne said...

Gorgeous! So beautiful--the yarn, the pattern, you who made it!

 
At 4:32 p.m., Blogger knitty_kat said...

That is really lovely! Susie is one lucky girl!!

 
At 4:57 p.m., Blogger Samantha said...

Wow, that is absolutely gorgeous. I'm inspired.

 
At 8:05 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

So glad I found your blog! Thanks for the closeups of your lovely scarf, and for pointing me toward the crochet they have at the Phildar site!
Vashti

 
At 7:50 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Mandy. Amyknitty reminded me to check out what you were up to. I'm not a crochet person, but I love pattern and think your crocheted scarf is very decorative and pretty.

 
At 8:24 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

That scarf is gorgeous -- I love how delicate, yet structural it seems. I might have to start using my crochet hook for something other than picking up dropped stitches!

 
At 9:53 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey I used to have that same dinette set you're using for a scarf model! It went away to college years ago with our middle daughter, never to return (the dinette set, the daughter came back). It was so funky cool and my favorite color (actually applies to both the dinette and daughter). Yeah, emitting the good karma, in the shape of furniture!

 
At 1:29 p.m., Blogger SylvChezPlum said...

beautiful scarf, so much nicer with that yarn than the original Phildar one !!

 
At 4:59 p.m., Blogger InkyW said...

Holy cow, you make me want to pick up the hooks again. Almost.

Seriously, very lovely indeed!!

 
At 7:36 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is one of the most beautiful
scarves I've yet to see...
gorgeous!!!

 
At 1:37 p.m., Blogger Jen said...

that is amazing!

your thoughts on friendship have been a theme in my life as of late as well....replenished...good word for the feeling

 
At 5:52 a.m., Blogger Erin said...

Fantastic scarf and I couldn't agree more with your description of friendship.

 
At 10:42 a.m., Blogger uhoava gnu said...

Such a beautiful scarf! PLUS it has attitude!

 
At 7:03 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

that is simply gorgeous...exquisite!

 
At 12:53 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stunning scarf, of course, but I am also blinking with discovery at your description of friend-time. Thanks for putting it so perfectly. Makes me want to be a better crocheter, and a better friend.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home