Yarnageddon

Based on a True Sweater

Jun 27, 2006

Past and Future

Last night I got this photo of my grandfather in my email, with this story:



The attached photo was taken at Comox Air Base ( they have an area of now obsolete Airforce aircraft on display). The picture was taken on our recent trip to the Island with Sue and Roger. The number of the aircraft is 007, a T-33 jet trainer. I flew this aircraft in Dec, 1953 At Trenton when I took the T-33 instructor conversion course on the aircraft. I wonder how many hours that aircraft flew before it was "retired".

Pretty cool, huh? My grandfather was in the Canadian Airforce for years and years... I have lots of childhood memories of being fascinated by the exotic souvenirs from all over the world, which cover the shelves of my grandparents' house. I remember also feeling in awe of the world map which hangs on the wall in their place, liberally studded with the pins which show everywhere my grandfather has been.

Would you guess that my grandfather is turning 81 next month? I sure as hell hope I look as good when I'm 81.
I think it will have to be a good year for him. 81, a square of a square... how can that not be auspicious?
(...this is in my own made-up numerology system, I don't know what it looks like in any other system.)
(Shut up. I like numbers.)

Hey wait... I've got a square coming up myself, in 5 years. Maybe I should do something to make it monumental, I've got the time to plan...

I wonder what it would be like to find a piece of your past, like that plane. I feel so young sometimes, I'm looking forward to all the life I've got stretching out ahead of me... I wonder what I'll happen upon in 50 years that will give me memories like this.

4 Comments:

At 1:29 p.m., Blogger jodi said...

Hmm, now you're going to have everyone guessing how old you will be in 5 years.

This is a wonderful post. I hope to someday travel to some of the places that my granddad served in; you're lucky, you've got him around to point the memories out to you. Oddly, thinking about what things will trigger memories for us in 50 years has me thinking not only of what *things* have that sort of value, but also what things I don't want to still have around me in 50 years.

 
At 8:40 p.m., Blogger Sharon said...

How fantastic and lucky to have a grandfather that can share his memories with you and he emails you? Wow!!! I had one grandfather that I can remember, but he was a miserable sod, nobody knew much about him. I think my father was 30 when the family found out that my grandad tried living in Canada and Australia.

I wish my other grandad was alive long enough to know, he sounds super interesting having been a train driver across India.

Hmmm 50 years from now, wow that's hard to imgagine I have a hard time thinking about one year from now, which is why I hate those interview questions, "Where do you see yourself five years from now?"

 
At 9:55 a.m., Blogger Erin said...

That's so cool to have such awesome memories of your granddad's adventures! One of my grandfathers passed away when I was young, but the other one is still going strong at 84. I wish I could spend more time getting to know him, but he lives so far away.

 
At 6:38 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi
I have a good knowledge about numerology and I like your site. I build this site
numerologija
few years ago and I had also seminars. Please let me know if you need more info.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home