Yarnageddon

Based on a True Sweater

Mar 19, 2009

Spring Is On Its Way...

I just wrote the following to a friend who's coming out of a funk, and it seemed like a good note on which to start blogging again. I may have blogged about this superstition/tradition before.

I do adore spring in Vancouver.
---
I must share a homemade superstition that Zak and I have been observing since before we were dating, when we were just friends. On the vernal and autumnal equinoxes (like tomorrow!), we have a party, or if a party isn't practical, we go out for a nice meal, and think about the coming seasons. It's important to do something a little special, a little indulgent; tomorrow we're picking up our roommate from school and taking her out to lunch at a good burger place with MILKSHAKES. The idea is that it will ensure good luck in love and life for the coming two seasons. (Clearly the marital strife that Zak and I had recently, and the deep and horrible funk we were both in, is a result of not celebrating the autumnal equinox.)

I find that when we take the time to remember and mark the passing and upcoming seasons like this, it really does help us sort our heads out about what we want in our lives in the coming months, and to head forward with optimism. Celebrate tomorrow, if you can. Hopefully our homemade magic will serve you well. :)
---

I hope you all have a wonderful spring!

7 Comments:

At 2:28 p.m., Blogger Deb said...

Welcome back to the blogosphere ma'am. Apparently spring is sprung! We will go for lunch out tomorrow too, and raise a glass toward you, wishing you a bright and frisky tomorrow.

 
At 2:28 p.m., Blogger Jackie said...

Wonderful post and I will follow your lead and observe the Equinox and great Spring properly. Right now I need all the good luck the universe can send my way.

 
At 3:17 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

That sounds like a wonderful tradition, and I'm glad to see you blogging again. Happy Spring - and welcome back!

 
At 7:32 p.m., Blogger Rachael Herron said...

Missed you! Lovely writing, my dear. xoxo

 
At 1:53 a.m., Blogger Visa Lisa said...

What a great notion! I'm sooo celebrating the seasons changing from now on! I think you might be right about sorting time in your head by marking the start of something new...
It was lovely to see your name highlighted in my rss feed again! Welcome back!
Love - the Lisa.

 
At 12:01 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

So glad you're writing again!
I got engaged during the winter solstice this year - a celebration of the return of the light in both of our lives! It's a wonderful tradition.

 
At 1:34 p.m., Blogger Dani In NC said...

I just found out that you've started blogging again. I missed your posts. Keep it up!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home