Yarnageddon

Based on a True Sweater

Oct 22, 2006

Thinking About Pretty

Please go read this post on Dress A Day. It's not long; I'll wait.

I think this is something that isn't said often enough, and rarely this well. It's an issue I could write a long and personal blog post about, but I'm just not up for it right now, and really, Erin has said what needs to be said. (Go read her post now!!)

However, one anecdote belongs in this entry. The last time I bought glasses, I was shopping alone; the only person giving me opinions was the nice guy at the shop. After trying on many frames, I was still drawn to a particular pair which had made me gasp when I first saw them, even though they were (by far) not the most flattering pair on me. I did end up buying them, after dragging several people to the mall for opinions. It was unanimously decided (by those who know me) that they were the best choice, because they fit my personality so well.

However, rewinding back to my first visit, the man helping me was becoming increasingly flummoxed by my continued resistance to several frames which looked lovely on me, flattering my face shape and features. Finally, in exasperation, he blurted out, "Don't you want to be pretty??"

6 Comments:

At 6:40 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Speaking as a man, may I just say that over the years some of the most irresistable women I've met are the ones who obviously don't give a damn about what people, particularly men, think of them.

Ladies, wear whatever the hell you want. The only person you will scare away is your future ex-husband.

 
At 8:17 p.m., Blogger Brenda in Toronto said...

thanks for linking that post, mandy. wouldn't it be nice if we could all just be comfortable in our own skins?

 
At 11:29 p.m., Blogger Rabbitch said...

I love that post, thank you. And I'm working on it, dude.

If only I'd read (and believed) that 25 years ago!

 
At 3:25 a.m., Blogger Leanne said...

Great article - thanks for linking it.

 
At 1:01 p.m., Blogger leigh said...

But your glasses are great - maybe not pretty, but very cool.

 
At 5:28 p.m., Blogger LadyLinoleum said...

Your glasses rock. I've got glasses with sparkles on 'em. Yeah, they're a little loud. I like 'em though.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home